Thursday, May 5, 2011

CAS Beginnings in Ontario

I have to admit that although Nic and I have had good intentions, we are not even close to finishing our pre-reading for our PRIDE training.  With the last minute home inspection and work insane, it just has not been in the cards.  I sat down last night to get started (yeah you heard right, started....).  I am taking notes so I can brief Nic tonight after dinner and tomorrow on the way in to Toronto.  Since it is going to be Friday traffic hell, and we have to take the DVP into downtown, I am sure we will have lots of time.

I am not too concerned, since I know they are going to review all the information again at the training. I just don’t want to be “that guy”, who didn’t do the reading, and has no idea what is going on.

Last night I was reading all about CAS history, and the beginning of fostering and adoption, starting in the late 1800’s.  I thought the start to CAS in Ontario was interesting, so wanted to share.

A man by the name of John Joseph Kelso played a huge part in the cause of abused and neglected children from the start.  In 1887 he founded the first Toronto Humane Society.  The Humane Society had a special police force that “combated cruelty to animals, women, and children, opposed gambling, prostitution, Sabbath breaking, indecent exposure and unlicensed drinking.” It was not until 1891 that it became obvious to Kelso that it would be better for the child protection agenda to be separated from the animal rights movement. 

When I think of the Humane Society today and that it was the start of Ontario’s children’s aid societies, it shows just how far we have come as a society.  Although learning that these early CAS organizations solely focused on neglect, and it was not until the early 1960’s, that child abuse came to the forefront, is a bit scary.  I guess everything has to start somewhere.  But really... the dog pound.....

No comments:

Post a Comment